Everyone who has worked or even tinkered with technology has at one time or
another (or many times) been plagued by inaccurate, incomplete,
incomprehensible and inane—if not truly evil—manuals.
The User Manual Manual is a
step toward changing the world (of manuals and manual writers).
The equivalent of a master's course in manual writing and production,
User Manual Manual has all the background material a manual writer could ever
need, plus a complete sample project that ranges from the first day on the job
through archiving and post-mortem.
This book will teach you how to:
- Analyze and understand your working environment.
- Tailor your goals and working methods to the team's development
- Analyze and understand design documents.
- Analyze and understand your target reader.
- Research a product
- Outline and write a manual fit for any audience.
- Organize a manual to cover a program on multiple platforms.
- Deal with and learn from editors.
- Prepare screenshots.
- Prepare a manual for layout.
- Work with graphic artists.
- Repurpose the manual into an onscreen help system.
- Prepare addendums and Quick-Start Guides.
This book is for:
- Technical writers who write manuals for software products.
- Anyone who manages, hires, contracts, or subcontracts manual writers.
- Anyone who wants to write in the technical world.
Whether you're about to write your first manual, or want to write your next
one quicker, better and more easily, The User Manual Manual was written for
Trade Paperback. $29.95
ISBN: 0-9669949-1-4, LCCN: 99-90430
Download a free sample from this book, including the foreword, table of contents and
first chapter in Adobe Acrobat format.
View a color
brochure for this book
in Adobe Acrobat format.
User Manual Manual to Shopping Cart
Out/View Shopping Cart
Buy this book from Amazon.com
The User Manual Manual uses The Personal
Newspaper(TM) for demonstration purposes. These demos are executable programs
created with MacroMedia® Director®. Click here for
more information on The Personal Newspaper.
Downloads for this book:
The Personal Newspaper Demo Program (Windows version)
The Personal Newspaper Demo Program (Mac version)
We've got a few of our Books for Writers that were slightly scuffed in shipping, or
were paged through a few times at trade shows or seminars.
Click here for a great deal.